Saturday, September 19, 2009

Working in Photoshop

I was watching Dani Draw yesterday morning when someone in the USTREAM chat room asked if any of us had seen Mark Crilley on Youtube. After her show was over (Dani inspires me to draw everyday, if you haven't checked out her show, you should. Tell her sleep_pea sent cha. You can also view recordings of her daily shows on her ustream page Here is a link in case you want to check her out, Dani Draws ;)I simply love her style and wish she would sell some of her images as digital stamps.), I went and checked out Mr. Crilley on YouTube.com. He creates Manga (a Japanese graphic novel, typically intended for adults, characterized by highly stylized art.) characters in his videos which are easy to follow, and packed with information. He has videos that show a breakdown of placing the facial features. I think the part that shocked me the most is how much lower on the face the eyes are placed, compared to where I generally put them. I added the video I watched, but there are several others to choose from, simply go to youtube.com and do a search on Mark Crilley (or just click the links).





Armed with the knowledge from the video, I turned to Photoshop and my tablet and tried my hand at creating a character. This is the first one I did.....
Uhhhh yah. Damn lol. Uneven, big eyes and her chin is pointy as hell. It was fun drawing digitally tho.
This one is my second try.....

Again she isn't perfect but I think a lil better than the first, which is enough to keep me practicing, which is half the battle for me :). As always, thanks for stopping by!!! Before I go though, I would like to add a special Thank You to the artists out there, like Dani and Chris that so generously offer their skills up for the general public to read, watch, and absorb. I have learned alot.

7 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Fantastic Dawn!!!!!!!!!!! HUGS~ LORi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn it's amazing... You truly have the talent!
    Hugs, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thanks for the information!! Glad you joined the hop yesterday so I could find your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGOSH you rocked this gf!! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow dawn, great digipainting, I still feel awkward with the tablet, you certainly have a knack for it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i found your blog yesterday and have been reading through as i have a moment here and there.
    and i have to tell you that i LOVE your take on the manga girls. it's not a style i'm typically drawn to---but these i love! IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion - ha! i'm sure it mounts to a hill of beans! LOL!) You should perfect this style and interpretation of it!

    ReplyDelete